Monday, November 09, 2009

Canadian Parliamentarians Repeal Gun Registry

Time for me to enter the skirmish on the long gun registry issue.

I register for a lot of things. My car is registered, my retirement savings plan is registered, I registered this year at university, my dogs are registered, I register every time I go into a health care institution, I am on my municipal, provincial and federal electoral lists, I am a registered user on countless Internet sites, and my bank has more private information about me than CSIS.

Land possession is registered, and my children and wife are registered as beneficiaries of an aboriginal land claims agreement. In some places you have to register your bicycle. Certainly boats above a certain length are registered, private and commercial aircraft are registered, and you even have to register before taking books out of your local public library. My birth has been registered, and doubtless my death will be as well.

So what is the big freakin' deal about registering rifles and shotguns?

The most common complaint is "I'm a law-abiding citizen - why are you coming after me?" This misses the point. I don't stuff ballot boxes, fail to return library books, or have a secret puppy mill in my backyard. I don't jack cars, nor do I steal identities. So why should these gunowners feel "accused" or "singled-out" by joining in an effort to assert some sort of order on possessions which are potentially dangerous? We have a social contract by virtue of sharing the same space - we have to assure each other's well-being, and sometimes this means being transparent about our interests and assets.

Doubtless - the rifle and shotgun registry has been a shambles, with egregious cost overruns in its implementation. But that should not detract from the intentions - to inform police having to enter a house about any potential agent of harm they mught encounter, and to provide a way of tracing back stolen weapons.

My sneaking suspicion is that for the cretins who oppose gun registration, coming clean about their firearms is hitting too close to home. We all know the sexual association that guns have - maybe these assholes are too afraid of their short comings becoming public.

Stephen Harper, he has a very short wick
Hoeppner's got nothing, but then she is a chick
Layton, for his implant's awaitin'
And poor Ignatieff's is as thin as a Bic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home