Saturday, February 16, 2008

Time to Unpack

I've been basically living out of a suitcase most of the last month, but now can look forward to at least three weeks at home before having to fly out again somewhere.

Having my first day off in a long time, I now have the serenity make the following observations:
  1. The caribou stew which I made a few weeks back is still entupperwared in the back of the fridge. I guess the dogs will appreciate it if it hasn't become too moldy.
  2. Utilities and credit card companies still want payment, judging by the stack of mail swaying on top of my dishwasher. Bills now join death and taxes as the only sure things in life.
  3. Dogs are very quick to forgive long absences. Children and wives are not, especially when you are away on birthdays and St. Valentine's Day. Sidebar: candy and flowers are half price on February 15th.
  4. I never ran out of water or sewage once while on the road, but as soon as I got home the warning light came on the sewage tank. I am now resigned to living in a red light district.
  5. There are nearly a dozen unfinished posts on my Blogger dashboard. I should stitch them all together for a mega-posting but it will end up reading a bit like Joyce's Ulysses, not that my completed posts are all that much better.
  6. It only takes about a quarter inch of snow to obliterate months of dog poo, at least until the spring comes a few months from now. I should plan a vacation for spring thaw, and hope that the rains will wash the blanket up dog crap away from our house.
  7. Northern "chic" is not appreciated when traveling in the south. Something about the rubber boots, I think. Or my "Gras agé de la Phoque" cologne.
Anyways, it's good to be back!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Ah, yes, the dog poo. That's how you know it's spring in Canada.

If we could just figure out a way to market it, we'd make a mint.

10:56 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Too bad about global warming or the poo would stay frozen under the snow for good. Welcome back!!

1:13 AM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Dog poo... It's why I have cats.. :) Glad you're back from the "South". Did you see any difference...? :)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Regarding 3: You can order flowers from Marche Daoust or Central for same week delivery! I sent my missus a bouquet for Valentine's Day. Anyway, welcome back. I kept an eye for your hund this trip but didn't see him (or it). There was a strange looking mongrel but it was a tan coloured beast.

4:11 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Dog crap as an alternative fuel - think about it...

12:09 PM  
Blogger The Ferryman said...

Mmmm...caribou stew...

8:30 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

WoD - How do you cope in the dog poo department in NL with those huge blizzards followed by sub-tropical thaws?

Phos - your two huskies must create quite a pile after a while. I suggest, through genetic engineering, we invent some kind of animal which will subsist entirely on dog crap. I just can't come up with a name for it.

Merlinprincesse - you should get a dog - they really appreciate the crunch of those special snacks left in the litterbox.

C'est Moi - I hear you, but the lure of 50% off is too strong due to my Scottish heritage.

Phos - But vehicles powered with such an energy source would spend all their time smelling other vehicles tailpipes.

Mr. Fab - Long time no see!!! To make a truly great caribou stew, and a couple of pig's feet so that the gravy clots up: otherwise, it's a tad watery.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home