Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Batten Down The Hatches

It was too good to last.

This winter, although colder than a gravedigger's arse, had been storm-free. But last evening the house we live in began to tremble, wisps of snow snaked down the streets, snowdrifts developed a surface coating of last year's vegetation, and I knew we were in for a good blow.

Now I like a good blow same as most men, but when the temperature is already at the bottom of the thermometer the cold sneaks in everywhere, through every stitch of your clothing, through every crack of your house (even through the walls), and into your soul. This storm is different though: not having much in the way of snow - we've had almost none all winter long - the visibility isn't zero/zero, more like 50 feet/zero. Had this been an average year you'd have difficulty in seeing the neighbour's house lights.


So I cut my outside dog free to find shelter, but checking up on him a few hours later I found him playing with the other local outside dogs. But at least he's moving around, and can find a sheltered niche somewhere should he want to lie down. I think next summer I will build him a dog house with an internal heat light so he'll be more comfortable. He's getting old now (12 years) and I notice he seems to be getting a little arthritic. I'll also store up some cardboard for the floor since it seems to have great insulating abilities.

The satellite television is basically unwatchable, since the wind not only deforms the dish but my house actually moves off satellite regularly. Internet seems to be working, but we have a very beefy dish and it would take more than a mere 100 kph wind to cause problems (touch wood and cross fingers).

In 10 days time I'll be going to warmer climes - Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa - so in the meantime I'll just crawl under the covers, take some Dramamine for motion sickness, and hang on.

6 Comments:

Blogger marty said...

What brand overcoat serves you best in the cold? Just curious what people in really cold climates use.

9:59 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Soudns as though it is time to move. The loonie is strong and a lot of Canadians are buying houses in my neck of the woods. You could trade icy cold for screaming hot...

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

9:52 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

A four dog night

8:23 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Marty: I use a cheap parka, and the wind blows right through it. I've been asking my wife to make me a traditional Inuit parka, but I think she likes seeing my shiver.

Phos: I would absolutely melt in Arizona. Until they invent some kind of airconditioned plastic bubble a la hamster exercise ball, I ain't coming.

Te La Mar Maria - thanks for the compliment. Come back really soon, eh?

10:32 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

What!!! You came to Quebec City???? mmmm....Was it during the cold wave, or the rain the day before, or one of the storms in between the extreme cold and rain? Did you notice the snow! We had so much again this weekend that I think we are beginning to sell it to the USA...Hhheheheh. Tomorrow, rain again, then minus 1,200°C... at least. One hour later...

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home