Sunday, May 21, 2006

Arockalypse Now!



I saw a clip on television of the Eurovision song contest winners - Lordi, a KISS-like band from Lapland in the north of Finland, and I thought to myself "no wonder Finland has one of the world's highest rates of alcoholism if this is the musical act which will represent their nation". But their entry Hard Rock Halleluja won this long-standing competition, previous winners of which have included Abba and Celine Dion.

My next thought was "Hmmm. . . just the band to bring over to my home town of Salluit", especially considering my previous post. I could propose it as a circumpolar exchange of indigenous peoples - Saami and Inuit. I could also suggest it is a new gospel group since the names of two of the members are "Lord" and "Amen".

But most of all I just want to get back at those narrow minded bastards who pretend that all is great in the world following their belief system while the bodies of their youth literally pile up in mounds.

Should I open a Paypal account for this?


Update

Thanks to Dutch Bitch for including the Lordi video in her blog. I think half my town would believe they loosed the gates of Hell if they saw this. But the more I watch it, the stronger my resolve grows to bring them here is.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

My son voted for Lordi; I'm sure he'd give all his pocket money to you if it meant promoting them internationally.

Ireland gave the most votes to Lithuania. If you didn't catch the act, it was six guys roaring, "We are the Winners, of Eurovision. Vote! Vote! Vote for the winners!" Catchy.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Fuff said...

LOL. Good idea. I went out to purposely avoid seeing it.

6:39 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

Ha! I did a post on those guys as well. Did you know that Lordi actually feel kids love them because they look like their toys! LOL I hope my son does not have any toys looking like that!!! (but he probably does, really)

7:43 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Anna: Tell your son he's totally cool in my books. Adn to save his allowance for a good cause.

Fuff: I take it Eurovision is a little like American Idol, but with national entries. I never watch any of the Country X Idol shows, nor any reality shows for that matter.

Dutchbitch: I remember as a kid collecting trading cards full of macabre images and gore, all done tongue-in-cheek. I think it's a phase all boys go through. And thanks for the link to the video.

4:50 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

The usual bad rock. Ordinary song. Nothing exciting. And a very bad "mise en scène". I laughted a lot when the guy opened his (ugly) wings... I prefer Klingon Opera!

9:21 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Mr. Fab: Duly noted. Will you adopt me? I'd fit right in.

Merlinprincesse: What I liked about it was that it was so over-the-top. But the staging is a direct rip-off of Genesis's "Watcher of the Skies".

4:29 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I guess I'd scream too, if I had all that crap on. In some countries even when folks are just having a friendly conversation it sounds like they are yelling. I swear Italians are either really excited about seeing you of think everyone they are talking to is near deaf.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home