Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wintertime Blues

For those of you who don't know, I live in a small isolated community some 800 miles from the North American road network. As a consequence, all our consumer goods are flown in on cargo planes. Bad weather, mechanical breakdowns and just the luck of the draw all factor in to whether you will receive your supplies from the south.

I have penned this ditty based on Eddie Cochrane's Summertime Blues. For the ultimate experience, I suggest you listen to the Blue Cheer version a couple of times first to get the soundtrack into your head karoake style.

Well I'm gonna raise my voice,
Well I'm gonna raise some Cain;
My booze supply is dwindling
And
there ain't no cargo plane.
So I went to my friend
Who's got a bigger stash
He said "Too bad, Nanuk,
Unless you got some cash"

[Refrain:] Sometimes I wonder
What I'm a gonna do
'Cause there ain't no cure
For the Wintertime blues.

My mother-in-law told me,
My wife she told me too,
"If the planes ain't comin'
Ya gotta make home brew."
So I went to the store
To try to buy some yeast
But the whole supply's been bought out
By our fucking parish priest.

[Refrain]

One of these fine days
I'm gonna leave this land.
To where I can drink til dawn
Just like the Good Lord planned.
But for now I gotta ration
My precious spirit stocks.
And hope the local store keeps aftershave
In forty-ounce crocks.

[Refrain] x 2

2 Comments:

Blogger AERIA Records said...

LOVE it :)

8:13 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Thanks, man. I haven't looked at this post in years, and with some fresh eyes it ain't half-bad.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home