Friday, February 24, 2006

The Flight Back Home

As my faithful reader(s) have noticed, I am not one for flying. Especially in a small plane, especially at night. Luckily I was able to snag a couple of shots of vodka which I am drinking now for purely medicinal reasons.

This post, and most of the next post is being composed in a Twin Otter flying in the dark at 10,000 ft over the frozen east coast of Hudson’s Bay. The computer is swiveling on my knee since there are no tray tables on this flight. No flight attendants, no padded seats, no oxygen masks, no in-flight service, and no toilets. About as barebones a service as you can get.

Please excuse any typographical errors since the inside temperature is about 0 celsius, although I am beginning to feel a little warmth.

A mid-flight update. Although the flight is smooth as can be I’m feeling right snakey. Of all planes the De Havilland Twin Otter is the safest in the world. It can turn on a dime, land on 500 ft airstrips, tundra or snow. It holds the record as being the only plane to have flown into the South Pole in mid-winter to medivac out a sick scientist. Yet for the past 20 long years it has been my worst nightmare.


Sorry about the delay in posting and commenting, got home late last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home