Sunday, May 27, 2012

Winter Lingers On - Plants Can't Wait

As some of you might know, I have the most northernly greenhouse in Quebec, and one of two (to the best of my ken) north of Kuujjuaq.

All winter long I have been planning a second greenhouse for warmth-loving plants like tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, etc.  To make sure I had seedlings ready to transplant, I began some of my seeds as early as April 8, giving them at least two months in my bedroom nursery to grow large enough to put out. And grow they did - profusely.  My bedroom looked like a scene from the movie Jumanji, with vines and foliage spreading out every where.

I thought I could plant in the greenhouse I built last year in mid-May, but the temperature at night is still below freezing, much below freezing.  But keeping them inside wasn't much of an option either since they were getting far too large for their peat pots.

The best I could come up with was to build a greenhouse inside my greenhouse, and blow some heat underneath like a tunnel.

Today I planted my first seedlings, robust vegetables such as brussel sprouts, kale, lettuce and bok choy.  I could hear the corn snow hitting the plastic skin of the greenhouse as a snow squall passed through as I was planting.


And here is my internal greenhouse.


I'll only know tomorrow morning if I made the right choice.  Tune in later for an update.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have my greenhouses in my field to plant flowers.

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Nanuk!
Fuff

11:54 PM  
Anonymous maigrir potion magique said...

très belle serre

3:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Any Moose Moss?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Zyrel E said...

Dear Webmaster:

We've discovered that a company we hired to help promote our site, findyourartschool.com, used a variety of questionable techniques to secure links to our website. These links were placed purely for SEO purposes with the intention of manipulating search rankings.It appears there may be links like this that have been placed on your site.The presence of these links is harmful to our site's good standing with search engines, and unfortunately, retaining them may also be harmful to your own site's reputation.We ask that you please remove any links on your site that link to findyourartschool.com. So far as we are aware, there are (or have been) links at these URLs:
http://whitebearsblog.blogspot.fr/2006/03/celebration-of-seal-recipes.html

We'd greatly appreciate your help with resolving this problem.Please let us know once the links to findyourartschool.com have been removed by return email.If you need any more information from us, please email me and I'll be happy to assist.We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and do appreciate your help.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home