Friday, May 18, 2012

Greenhouse Results from 2011

Before talking about my plans and results for this year, I feel I should summarize what happened in the greenhouse last summer.

Basically, any leaf crop grew really well - lettuce, bok choy, spinach, napa cabbage.  Also, they seemed to grown much faster than what I remember from my outdoor gardening in Montreal.

Root crops had mixed results.  Radishes flourished, but they will do so almost anywhere given their very short planting-to-harvest period.  My turnips (rutabaga) did not fare so well, almost all their energy went into foliage rather than root development.  Beets fell somewhere in between - I was able to get only one meal from them. Perhaps there's a local market for baby beets, but once you've peeled the skin off there's hardly anything left.

Peas grew really well, but I was unable to entice any bumble bees into greenhouse, so no pod set.  I've since watched a number of Youtube videos on pollinating plants by hand, so this is the route I'll take this year with anything that needs it.  Somehow, though, I feel it's something best done in a back alley for money by someone else.

Finally - flowers.  They went nowhere, slowly.  I never really paid close attention to the seed packets, but flowers need a really long lead time in order to flower before the hard frost sets in.  Definitely something to start in March inside the house.

From front to back: spinach, radishes almost going to seed, turnip, bok choy and napa cabbage.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Website Owner,

Please accept my deepest apologies for potentially involving you in a Google Terms of Service violation.
In securing links for custom-writing.org, I have breached the guidelines set by Google Webmaster, Google Penguin and Google Panda.
This caused me to be issued a Terms of Service violation and I fear that your website may be given a similar penalty because of the backlinks that can be found at:

http://whitebearsblog.blogspot.fr/2006/03/celebration-of-seal-recipes.html
http://whitebearsblog.blogspot.fr/2010/10/patient-in-recovery.html
http://whitebearsblog.blogspot.fr/2006/03/yet-another-st-patricks-day-post.html


I believe it would be beneficial to both of us if you remove these backlinks as soon as you can, so that we may reestablish good terms and full compliance with Google’s guidelines.
I apologize for any inconvenience that I might have caused and would of course be willing to work with you in resolving this matter.
Please contact me with any additional questions you might have.

Thank you.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home