Monday, December 17, 2007

Let them pick, then simply click

Sorry about the paucity of postings lately, but I have been down south in Montreal doing my annual Santa Claus run for seven hominids, two canines and a variety of traditional Christmas spirits. Do the math and you can see it has been quite a drain on my energy as well as my bank account.

I did quite a lot of my shopping in advance on-line this year, and so far everything has worked out quite well even factoring in the shipping costs and duties on purchases from the US and UK. E-commerce has been a particular boon to shopping for the females in my household. With the males, shopping is easy - just buy them a tool, any tool will do, and don't worry about the size, colour, make and model. Even duplicates of existing tools are appreciated; after all, a man cannot have too many hammers.

But buying presents for the girls and my wife has always been a great source of tension. You see, they have no hobbies to speak of other than collecting clothing and then either shrinking them in the wash or changing their own dimensions. So when I walk into the the women's section of any department store I start to sweat, what with all the possible permutations of style, colour, material, branding and the like. Not to mention sizing, the standards of which seem to have been set by psychotics with a strong sadistic streak.

But now with many clothing outlets having on-line catalogues, I just let them mouse through the selections, and then all I have to do is edit their shopping carts, add my credit card number, and click. Sure, it takes away the surprise element of opening presents on Christmas morning, but unless they start taking up snowmobile mechanics or woodworking, I'll be forever at a loss to buy them something they'll use or appreciate.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

My father could have written this post.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Fuff said...

Just them them all iPhones. Would do it for me :)

(oh and remortgage at the same time)

8:13 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Good call on letting them choose their own clothes. I bought my wife a dress once - our tastes aren't quite the same it seems and the dress never made it out of the closet.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home