Monday, October 15, 2007

Bugger Off!!

Is there is a committee which sanctions special days of the year? I mean, who decided that today is National Grouch Day? Not that I disagree with the intention, but I don't remember being consulted, nor did I ever read about anyone else being consulted on this.

If it is simply a matter of someone coming up with the idea and ipso facto it becomes, say, National Esperanto Day or National Smile Month, why not create our own observances, the more bizarre the better?

Here, due to a 1920s-style prohibition policy or our stultified municipal council, the year 2007 has official become the de facto Year of the Bootlegger. I'd imagine it would have a contest to see who can bid the most ludicrous amount of money for a hip flask (12 fl. oz or 375 ml) of booze. I wonder if they could outdo the outlandish $500 vodka was fetching this summer, and that for a bottle which retails for under $12.

In one of his more grouchy moments, Einstein observed that you can't use the same thinking to solve a problem as caused the problem in the first place. But here, as Marx predicted, history is repeating itself, only as farce.

Anyone notice how easily I've adopted the spirit of the day?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I thought today was "Mine tastes salty too day." Maybe Grouch day is one of those goofy Canuck holidays.

7:47 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

i declare this entire decade as the "neo bronze age" with my avatar as the de facto mascot, natch.

10:03 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Phos - With the population aging world wide I think we're all feeling a little grouchy these days.

She - With global warming I'm sure we'll get more than bronzed from the increased UV radiation.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Hmmmm...your National Grouch Day comes the day before our National Boss's Day. Coincidence??? (^_^)

7:34 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

eternally curious - No coincidence at all. We just call it a different name north of the 49th.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home