Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Look out Loch Ness

Here's one for all you cryptozoology fans. This picture was purportedly taken in Kuujjuaraapik this past summer, and shows the footprint of a sea dog, a kind of local monster. Apparently there was a second footprint as well. I have been told that many locals are quite convinced this is genuine.

I googled "sea dog", and it appears that this is not your major league monster: there are just a few scant references mainly from, understandably, seafaring communities.

I'm having trouble with the scale of this photo - is it an aerial photograph of a string bog? If so, this would have to be one magnificently huge creature to leave an impression that big. Also, if you start with the topmost toe, you can trace an unbroken line throughout the entire picture. Is this Nunavik's version of a crop circle hoax?

Are there any local monsters in your neighbourhoods?

13 Comments:

Blogger DutchBitch said...

So what? You are telling us that, as Brad from Pointless Drivel, you also take a size 15? And you slipped on that hill?

10:04 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

And... Puh-lenty of "local monsters" in my neighbourhood, but I think those are not the kind you are referring to, right?

10:05 AM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Monsters in my neighbourhood. Yes. They are aged 10 and 13 and they live next door.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

I second Wrath of Dawn, although these ones are 4 and 6 years of age.

4:53 PM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

n

Looks like you've got another monster in your neighbourhood, The Giant Anonymous Spammer.

9:09 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

DutchBitch: You, of course, are making reference to that old wives' tale about shoe size and IQ?

WoD: Are they "Addams Family"-type monsters or more like "The Omen"?

Mr. Fab: do you remember the Bonzo Dog Band song "Watch Out There's a Monster Coming"?

Fuff: ditto to WoD comment.

Anonymous: Fuck Off.

Fairscape: LOL. I'm resisting comment verification for the time being, but I'm thinking hard about it.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

The Omen definitely, with a bit of The Exorcist thrown in.

4:46 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Maybe space idiots were trying to make a circle, but were just too mentally challenged to get it right. Or maybe it is a sea dog.

11:12 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Princesse........ my siamese! :)

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love weird phenomena. Bring it on!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Mummified said...

We have monsters here but they are usually called politicians.

3:01 PM  
Blogger SC said...

I don't think this is an aerial photograph. In fact, I don't think it's got anything at all to do with soap powder. Actually, at first I too thought it was from the air, but then looked at the enlarged version and saw that the upper right hand corner seems to show close up detail of some kind of stone. I think the sand coloured area is actually a small puddle containing algae or some such.

As the stone looks jointed, and the picture is taken at an angle, I'm guessing it may have been taken on a causeway or launching ramp of some sort. My diagnosis, therefore Watson, is that this mark was created by a sea otter with one extra toe.

That'll be twenty quid ta.

10:05 AM  
Blogger SC said...

On second thoughts, perhaps I am talking out of my bottom. How can you have a puddle on a ramp? Doh.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home